How Much Do You Pay for a Dozen Organic Eggs?

When I posted this question, “How Much Do You Pay for a Dozen Organic Eggs?” over at Facebook, I didn’t think I’d get so many fast responses.

More than 50 responses later, here’s the overview of what I’ve learned:

• Most respondents pay around $3.50 for a dozen organic eggs (I pay more than this, but I’m not surprised by that as I’m in California)
  • The least anyone *paid* was $2 for a dozen
  • The least anyone *spent* (by having their hens) was about $1 in feed per dozen eggs.

Did you join the conversation? If not, what do you spend for a dozen organic eggs?

Comments

1. kimberly says:

I buy my eggs from a local farmer for $2.75 a dozen. If I bring back the carton to reuse each time, he lowers the price to $2.25. These eggs are not technically “organic” as most small farmers cannot afford the certification process, but he will gladly show you how well the happy hens are being treated, what type of feed he uses (which is very little, they are mostly grass-fed), and does not use antibiotics unless they are sick (which is rare because they are quite healthy living outdoors and eating grass). I would gladly pay much much more for these fresh laid eggs as they are the richest tasting I have ever had!

I don’t buy grocery store “organic” eggs because I have learned that feeding your hens organic corn feed will qualify you as organic (hens’ natural diet is grass and bugs). Also having the mere “availability” of a patch of outdoor ground is also acceptable. Most of those hens will not see the outdoors once in their entire pitiful lives, and if they do it is barren dirt :(

• Terry says:

Grass fed or pastured chickens have a much healthier liver and overall health. BUT, it’s a misnomer to think that chickens are totally grass fed. Only about 30% of a chicken’s diet is grass and insects, the majority or their diet is grains. If chickens are not fed grains they don’t lay eggs, or they lay very few.

As far as antibiotics, if a farmer has them on his land you can bet he uses them when he thinks they’re needed. I have NO antibiotics for livestock (or humans) because there are so many natural or herbal remedies that work. Nutrition is key. Soil fertility is key.

• Rose says:

I agree with Terry….

I worked on an organic farm this past summer, and I learned that chickens can only get 30% of their diet from foraging (grass and bugs). The other 70% has to come from grain. Also, I know that organic certification is fairly simple. I say this as someone who has worked on an organic farm and has done the some certification paperwork. I have read farmers claiming it would take them an extra month (!) of work… I don’t think this is true, based on my own experience. If someone isn’t getting certified organic, it’s because they aren’t organic…or they are but have a clientele who doesn’t care

2. Leah Anderson says:

I barter a loaf of fresh bread for a dozen eggs. They usually go for $2.50

3. Jennifer May says:

My sister practically fainted when I told her how much I spend for a dozen organic, free range, home-grown eggs. Depending on the source, I pay between $5.00 and $5.75 per dozen. And we buy 3 or 4 dozen eggs a WEEK. (I am pregnant, nursing, and have a hungry husband and two little boys!)
    We live northern interior Alaska, where food prices for everything is ridiculous, and I know that the chicken feed is just as expensive (plus they have to pay to heat the chicken coops!)
    I truly don’t mind paying so much, as I am fully aware of what a quality product I am purchasing.
    But I really look forward to buying our own home and being able to raise my own chickens:-)

4. Monika says:

At my county farmer’s market I pay $3.79 for 1 dozen jumbo organic eggs

5. Christine says:

I’m not sure what it works out to with our mostly-free-range hens. All I know is we pay for feed once every 2-3 months (a little more during the winter since there is not as much vegetation), and we get ~28 eggs/week from our 4 hens. We live in Phoenix, so we have the ideal weather for laying. And our hens are only a year old, so we still get an egg each day from each of them (even during the winter), and our ‘production reds’ sometimes give us 2 eggs a day during the summer!! So it is definitely worth it!! After reading about the horrible conditions of “organic” egg farms, I refuse to buy eggs from any store again! A farm nearby charges $5/dozen, and after eating our eggs for so long, I would definitely pay that much!

6. JR says:

I live about an hour east of Dallas, TX and I pay $4/doz for organic eggs from a dear farmer who drives to town every three weeks to deliver eggs, chicken and cheese. I buy two dozen at a time and always recycle my cartons to him. It is expensive but very worth it.

• Melanie says:

I’m just north of Dallas and we pay 2.75. The eggs are delivered to a pickup area in my town once every 2 weeks, a friend picks them up and distributes them to several of us.

7. Meg says:

We pay $6+ for pasture-raised eggs. Most go for around $7-$8 a dozen (the really good ones!) The cheapest I’ve found for chicken on grass is $5 a dozen, but they do supplement with non-organic feed (high quality, but non-organic and soy, nonetheless). I’d rather eat fewer eggs (we already go thru 3-4 dozen a week) than risk our health, though. (We’ve soy allergies.)

8. Jess says:

We live in rural Kansas and everyone and their mother has chickens it seems like (free range most of the time but not ness. organic) we get ours for 1.50 a dozen. It used to be 1.25!!!

Yeah we go through 6-10 dozen a week and although we could have chickens our selves I don’t think it’s worth it because we can get such good quality for such a great price PLUS I don’t have a lot of extra time with little ones.

• Lisa says:

I have found the same thing, I live in rural Oklahoma and it is by far cheaper to get my eggs from other neighbors and friends. While they may not be certified organic, these are pastured chickens who get to roam free all day (except during our recent blizzard). I generally pay $2 a dozen for these super large eggs, delivered. I too recycle my egg cartons and give them to the various people who provide the eggs.

• Missy says:

No where in this country can a farmer feed organic grains to their birds and sell them for less then $4 dozen and that is making minimal profit for all the farmers hard work and love and care for their birds. 1 2 and 3 dollar eggs are being fed conventional feed. in some parts of the country you can get your hands on non GMO feed and norm. sold a little less possibly.. but it is all in the feed, not necess. all in how they are treated. Up to 80 percent of the pastured egg layers diets is grains.. someone touched on this earlier. Also someone touched on antibiotics but it is true give them once, they are on hand they will continue to use. A good organic farmer wont buy them nor have them on the premises.. too many amazing equally affective treatments for organic birds. I have personally never had a sick bird in 3 years which I understand is a young farm, but of farming. What you want to be looking for is, is the feed they are using certified organic feed. .. in my experience farmers are honest folks and would gladly produce receipts to show if they are not certified. Also you dont need to inject your chickens with antibiotics to have antibiotics in their system..conventional chick starter and many conventional feeds already contain the antibiotics that farmers are feeding their birds. If the feed is not certified organic, it can contain GMOs, animal byproducts, antibiotics, chemical/herbicide/pesticide laced grains…and much more. buying from a local farmer is the step in the right direction, but if they are feeding conventional grains you are merely purchasing eggs from a farmer who gives a better quality of life to their birds per se. But not a better quality egg for your family. research research research.

• Amber says:

Missy – I totally agree with you! I currently charge $2.50/dozen for my free range chicken eggs but I feed them conventional feed. I’m seriously considering switching to organic feed because I’m fed up with the crap they are putting in even chicken feed (GMO corn, pesticides, etc.) but I was thinking I’m going to have to charge atleast $4 /dozen. My feed costs will go from $21 for a 100lb bag to $30 for a 50lb bag! No way could I do it charging the same amount I do now. When I was reading these posts, I was thinking the same thing as you.

• $1.50 is a DREAM!!!! i hope you’re cooking up a frenzy with your plenty!

9. Erin says:

I live in Nevada City,CA and California organics sells 1 dozen extra large for $2.29… and Briar Patch sells local,organic, free range, vegetarian fed 1dozen extra large for $2.59.

10. Jenny says:

I buy them at the farmer’s market (in WI) for $3.50-$4.50 a dozen. If i buy them at the grocery store, they are $4 plus.

This is a great resource: http://www.cornucopia.org/organic-egg-scorecard/

11. Heather says:

I’m in the San Jose area. Pastured, farm fresh eggs run around $6/dozen. Mass-market organic eggs are $4.99 for 2 dozen at Costco–and that’s what we’ve been buying lately, due to budget constraints. Last summer, we were in St. Louis, and farm-fresh pastured eggs were $2/dozen, with the same lady selling us raw milk for $4/gallon. I don’t miss much about St. Louis, but I DO miss the cheap raw milk!

12. Christine says:

I’m in San Antonio, TX area, and I pay $4.20 for organic eggs. And $5.50 for soy-free eggs.
    Raw milk is 6.50/gallon.

13. Amanda says:

My “first choice” farmer charges $1.50/dozen for organic eggs. My second choice farmer charges $3-$4/dozen (medium or large)

14. Dawn says:

I just posted about my chickens earlier this week on my blog. Unfortunately the breeds we have are not the best for free range, but they are definitely happy chickens. We supplement their food with vegetables from our garden. They got broccoli earlier this week, and the love the end slices of my homemade bread.

I get three to four dozen eggs per week. Not all of them are laying due to the colder weather. We are not selling eggs ourselves. My parents’ sell eggs from their free range chickens for $2/dozen. I find the quality of eggs are better than those I used to buy in the store.

15. Amanda says:

UGH! I pay $6.00 for a dozen eggs… they are organic and pastured though, I think it’s worth it!

16. sara says:

I get two dozen organic eggs at Costco for $5.69 so $2.85 per dozen. I want to find a local source though so I’m hoping once the farmers markets open back up in the spring I’ll get a lead to local ones!

17. jenny says:

I pay $ 4.00 a dozen from local farmer. They are on non gmo feed, soy free and free range.

18. I was paying $2.50/doz but my farmer recently raised his prices to $3/doz. It is still cheaper than the stores and much higher quality. Right now we are mostly grain-free so I am buying about 7 dozen a week. Yes, we eat a LOT of eggs!!

19. M.E. says:

This post actually makes me wonder:
    What is the difference between certified organic eggs (no antibiotics, vegetarian fed, etc), and ORGANIC feed?

It seems that the major price difference among the organic eggs (even within the same company) is whether the feed itself was organic.

Health-wise: is eating “organic, vegetarian-fed” eggs canceled if they were fed non-organic feed?

I’ve been wondering about meats with these same descriptions as well.

• Andrea says:

I don’t think eggs can be labeled certified organic unless the hens have been fed organic feed. The same goes for meat.

• Gia says:

Our farm has free-range hens that get additive-free feed, but since the feed isn’t organically grown, we cannot say our eggs are organic. Still, since they free-range and are raised very healthy and happy, the feed is a rather small portion of their diet and their eggs are exquisite. They may not qualify for the official organic label, but I feel their eggs are far superior to supermarket organic eggs nonetheless.

• Flair's Fayre says:

According to the powers that be: in order to say that your eggs are organic you have to be a certified organic farm. It cost around $35,000 and takes about 3 years for certification.
      We feed our chickens and ducks organically certified food, although that is all we can say because we are not certified organic. We are truely free range.
      No chicken is naturally vegetarian. They are omnivoures meaning they will eat anything and everything. Bugs, lizards, mice, baby rats, grass, seeds, each other……..
      I get $8.50/dozen for free range organically fed duck eggs and $5.00/dozen for free range organically fed chicken eggs.
      Flair’s Fayre
      (where the yolks stand up and scream “HOWDY”

20. Amanda Y. says:

When I can get my hands on local free range eggs WHICH ARE NOT EVEN ORGANIC fed, it’s over $4 a dozen (and we’re in Virginia, not Cali). Have not found truly organic eggs. The egglands best sell for $2.99 at the store (and we all know they’re not organic in the sense of free range at the least)

21. Tara says:

I pay about 3.75-4 for free-range, organice eggs from a farmer. I live in Indianapolis. Glad to read others’ comments and to know that we are not that odd in the amt we consume (2-3 dozen/week)…everyone else in my extended family would probably think we’re crazy if I told them. :)

• Tara — how big is your family? Do you have eggs for every breakfast meal and then when else? I need to incorporate more eggs in my diet. I eat them every morning and then a hard-boiled egg usually in the afternoon but very rarely in dinner (obviously casseroles of course).

22. Jessica says:

We’re in Bloomington, IN and we rotate hens on pasture. We are not certified organic, but the feed is non-gmo. Customers come to the farm and pay $3.50/dozen, but we do need to raise prices as the cost of feed has gone up recently.

• Jessica — do you have any sense of how much feed you pay for a dozen eggs? (i know it’s hard to break down, I’m just curious – as we had another commenter talking about how the price of feed factored into what she was “spending” on her own organic eggs)

• Missy says:

non gmo mean the seed is not gmo. the grains however are grown conventional with non gmo seed. the grains can be treated with herbicides, pesticides, and the list goes on. if it is bulk from a local feed dealer I am guessing or hoping no “extras” like animal by products, blood meal, etc. were added. very possible antibiotics were added. they can label as natural and not give full disclosure. non gmo is good, but not a sustainable plan. I could go on for a long time about non gmo and truth in labeling and so called natural chick feeds etc. certified organic is the only safe bet for your family, for your customers, for a sustainable farm and world.

23. Andrea says:

I’m in the Detroit area and pay $5.50/dozen for certified organic pastured eggs from the farmer who delivers our raw milk to a nearby location. The farm is a couple hours away, and I so appreciate the delivery. The eggs used to be $5/dozen, but they found that they had lost a lot of hens to coyotes when they went to round them up when the weather started getting cold, so they had to replace a lot of hens.

I was getting “pastured” eggs from someone a little closer for $2.50/dozen, but the difference in quality to the ones we get now is huge. They weren’t certified organic, but she said she used organic practices. We also found blood in a few of those eggs, and it grossed my husband out. I guess most of the hens were old.

24. Andrea says:

The blood was weird. The women with the hens offered to replace the eggs, but it was pretty gross and it happened about 3 different times (just 1 egg in each batch). She told me what it was from, but all I remember is that most of her hens were old and it had something to do with that. The eggs were better than grocery store eggs, even the organic ones, but the eggs from our raw milk farmer are even better. I think that the hens were outside some of the time and were allowed grass and bugs, but maybe they weren’t out as much as the ones from the farmer we buy from now? Or maybe the age of the hens has something to do with egg quality? I don’t think she was lying about the hens being pastured, but there is a difference.

I think a lot of farmers use organic practices but can’t afford to go through the certification process. It does get confusing, though, doesn’t it? It seems like I’m always researching and trying to understand what the various terms really mean so that I can ask good questions.

25. Katie says:

Oh MY GOODNESS… I spent almsot $10.00 on a dozen organice eggs at Wal-Mart last week… Where are you guys buying these eggs!? haha… Im also Canadian, and cannot always buy fresh @ a farmers market.

26. Pamela Noto says:

I buy Vital Farms eggs from WholeFoods- $6.99/dozen… When I was growing up, we had our own chickens.. but of course I did not want to eat the eggs- I wanted Supermarket eggs! If I only knew then…. Now I want my own chickens, but I’m not sure if it is allowed in my community.. besides my husband already told me no. I should research local farms in my area… how do you find a reputable local farmer?

27. Nicole says:

I’m so fortunate to get eggs for free! :) We have a family friend that raises her own hens and she gives us eggs every week. It’s the best because I know where they’re coming from and she truly loves her animals. Instead of pictures of her children she carries pictures of her goat and chickens. haha

28. Ronda says:

Ok so we raise our own eggs, we also raise the food for the chickens they are pastured for the summer, and kept warm for the winter. We do not use pesticide but we do use soy and buy the calcium to add to winter feed, so I’m going to have to check out and see whether or not the calcium is organic. Bugs and grass are no where to be found here in the winter months I live in the mountains of western maryland. I have been thinking of having them certified organic. I have since been learning that a lot of people have soy allergies, and am trying to come up with another additive to my organic recipe for feed that works and keeps my pretty birdies healthy thru the long winter here. I’m in the snow belt so its tougher. Any ideas?

• Ronda says:

Also I should have mentioned I do sell at the stock sale in Grantsville, MD. And prices there vary, but usually the bidders keep the price under $2.00 a dozen. There’s already others that sell their eggs in this area and they keep the market flooded with eggs that use store bought feed and I can’t compete with those prices. I have thought of marketing online once I become certified as comepletly organic, but the questions arise on how to ship, and adding the cost of shipping to the eggs. I know that it is being done already and I would like to have a better market for the eggs, since I am working so hard to maintain a pesticide free farm. Also I don’t use any antibiotics on my chickens, I think they are healthier without those. Anyone with good information is welcome to reply. Thanks.

29. Rachel Lehman says:

Regarding pasture raised chickens and eggs by Vital Farms…

First, why do consumers have to pay a premium for reverting to foods that are natural and old-fashioned? People see it as a CAUSE and are ready to pour in donations. It is not a CAUSE, it’s a BUSINESS!

Second, if they are raising chickens the old-fashioned way, there is no viable reason except GREED that their eggs cost $5-7 per dozen.

The majority of eggs were still pasture produced up until the early 1950s and used to cost about $0.20/dozen.

Even if we adjust for an annual inflation of 3.71% for the period of 1950-2012, eggs today should cost approximately $1.91/dozen.

And if we account for costs of production, distribution, and their family’s cost of living, the eggs should cost $4-5 max.

Vital Farms have a huge distribution range and will reap profits regardless.

If their family had a conscience, you could not overcharge for a basic product like eggs.

And supporting Whole Paycheck Foods is unethical anyway because they charge a markup on top of msrp prices.

I am sick of people giving into overpaying for extraordinary products that our grandparents considered to be ordinary.

• Joseph Micael Rodriguez says:

You obviously do not raise USDA Cerified Organic or Certified Naturally Grown laying hens on a small family farm. Here are the real costs of production for a flock of 300. USDA Cetified Organic feed can run from 25 to 47 dollars per 50 lb bag. Mine cost $30 per bag and I have to drive 200 miles round trip once a month to get it so factor in cost of gas and wear and tear on pickup at IRS 54 cents mile. Thats $900 for feed per month (30 bags) with $108.00 travel expense. My time or travel and pickup of feed is 4 hours at minimun wage that is $7.25 per hours 2013. So driving and loadng labor cost $29.00. Hens may not lay every day so allowng for average of 20% not laying that means that 15 hens are needed to fill one dozen a day. They eat 1/4 lb of feed per day even though they forage free range in the woods in pasture from sun up to sun down. This means that $2.25 worth of cetified feed is needed per dozen, carton 20 cents ( we do not reuse cartons due to possibility of third party contamination) labels are 5 cents each, grit is 1 cent, and oyster shell is 2 cents, costs for internet services and bookeeping services 5 cents, costs to maintain certification 2 cents, liability insurance 2 cents, refegeration until sale 5 cents, This totals $2.67 per dozen. Now figure in my five hours a day to water, feed, inspect condition of flock, repair facilities, maintain pasture and woods in good forage condition, gather, clean and pack eggs and input fed, laying production, sales, and costs infomation at minimum wage of $7.25 per hour that is $21.25 per day. This does not include of needed repair or relacement of equipment or facilties. With 80% hens laying daily that is 20 dozen a day, is $53.40 for ready to sell condition. And my labor at $21.25,that is $74.65 for this one day production cost. Add my travel time and travel cost of $137.00 to get feed pro rated over 30 days that is $4.5666 pr day added to running cost of a days production that is now $79.216 per day to produce 20 dozen eggs. This make final cost per dozen at $3.608 pe dozen. With free range expect to lose hens to preditor like hawks, owls, fox, coyote racoons, bob cats, feral dogs, and cats, opossums and two legged chicken thieves. Oops forgotto mention $10 for state run farmers market stall on Saturdays and the 60 mile round trip at 54 cents a mile is $32.40, also did not factor in cost of replacement chicks that are feed and cared for six months before laying and the loss of egg production during annul six o eight week molt. Still got to feed at a lose until they finish molt. So now you know why I sell these eggs at $4.00 a dozen, bythe way all the Walmarts hers ellthem for$4.48 an Kogers sell for $4.58 Ouf of a possible 140 dozen eggs and a seven day week job, the profit is $54.88 still think the eggs cost too much, that is earnig $7.84 day after all costs..

30. I truly wanted to post a quick message so as to appreciate
    you for these fantastic items you are sharing at this website.
    My time intensive internet lookup has now been recognized with reasonable facts to write
    about with my company. I ‘d express that we readers are extremely endowed to live in a fabulous community with very many brilliant professionals with useful tips and hints. I feel extremely fortunate to have come across your webpage and look forward to really more cool moments reading here. Thanks once again for everything.

31. Emmy Johnson says:

I have a 32 chicken flock that consists of 28 laying hens and i have 7 americanas (green and blue egg layers) and a doz of those goes for $3. I sell my free range organic brown/white eggs for $2 a doz and my double yoke doz for $5. I believe if you are paying more than $3 for a dozen eggs (that aren’t double yokes) then they are over priced!!

~Emmy Johnson

32. Anonymous says:

If the chickens are fed certified organic grain, given no antibiotics or hormones, are free-range, and have access to organic greens then and only then are the eggs truly organic. Because of the U.S. drought organic grain prices are high. There’s very little “profit” even when farmers sell organic eggs at $6.50 dozen in California. So when you buy organic eggs from a local farmer think about the cost, the work, and the value of those organic eggs. They’re worth every penny, imo.

33. If you live in the New York City area, you can get Handsome Brook Farm Pasture Raised Organic Eggs from FreshDirect. I believe they charge about $5.99/dozen., delivered to your door. Our farm is in upstate New York, our hens have acres of pasture to roam, and the eggs are great! If you have any questions about our eggs or how our chickens are raised, feel free to contact us. Webiste is http://www.handsomebrookfarm.com. If you live in upstate New York, you can get our eggs at many Hannaford and Price Chopper stores. We want people to be able to get farmers market quality eggs all year round!

34. My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog.

He was totally right. This submit actually made my day.

You cann’t consider just how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

35. TJ Penn says:

I see this post is old but really need to get my eggs out to market. To put in plain terms, my chickens bolt out to the pasture every day and come back to coop to lay eggs and at sundown to roost! Not ONE chicken stays in any of our 3 coops during the day!

I’m happy to share numbers for those who want to understand. Based on 100 laying hens: I collect about 40 dozen eggs week, hens don’t lay from 4-6 weeks a year. Feed costs us $2,000 year and is going up. There’s other expenses in this business buy just using feed, we make $6,000 year after feeding them if we can sell every single dozen at $5. There’s coops to clean every day (at our farm anyway), we water every day (some change out only weekly) we fill feeders daily, we wash all this equipment weekly. We treat for mites and other things that can threaten our chickens and this is both labor and money. Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar is expensive and yep, we put it in the water as well as chopped garlic for our chickens to be the healthiest It goes on!

We will deliver to Rockwall and Collin County, the farm is in Greenville, and if interested please call:

TJ Penn 817-269-7029

Find us on Facebook at:

Trackbacks

1. [...] less than a minute. An organic flaxseed egg costs about 9 cents, or $1.08 a dozen. You’d pay more than three times as much for dozen large organic chicken eggs and about 70 percent more to get eggs from chickens raised in [...]

2. [...] less than a minute. An organic flaxseed egg costs about 9 cents, or $ 1.08 a dozen. You’d pay more than three times as much for dozen large organic chicken eggs and about 70 percent more to get eggs from chickens raised in [...]

3. [...] less than a minute. An organic flaxseed egg costs about 9 cents, or $1.08 a dozen. You’d pay more than three times as much for dozen large organic chicken eggs and about 70 percent more to get eggs from chickens raised in [...]

4. [...] less than a minute. An organic flaxseed egg costs about 9 cents, or $1.08 a dozen. You’d pay more than three times as much for dozen large organic chicken eggs and about 70 percent more to get eggs from chickens raised in [...]

5. [...] less than a minute. An organic flaxseed egg costs about 9 cents, or $1.08 a dozen. You’d pay more than three times as much for dozen large organic chicken eggs and about 70 percent more to get eggs from chickens raised in [...]

6. [...] On the other hand, organic eggs cost around $3.50 a dozen. But some are sold as low as $1 per dozen. This is according to Savingnaturally.com. [...]